Sketches

Thursday 11 November 2010

The Swan

Just returned from a trip to St. Helens, England. I spend the evening drinking Guinness beer in a local pub called "the Swan", where I sat quietly reading a book and drawing this guy spending too much money on a jackpot machine. As they saw me drawing, other visitors started talking to me about the town. They told me about the oldest house in St. Helens, a Quaker house dating from 1676, long before the first coal was found. I found the cute little building, hidden between some derelict houses, the next day during my early morning walk. See above sketch. Bezoek aan St. Helens, Engeland. Schets van een gokker in de pub "the Swan", en het oudste huisje van St. Helens, uit 1676. 



4 comments:

schilderijenfoto said...

mooi, dat kader met die bomen.

Rene Fijten said...

Dank je wel.

RobCarey said...

Looks like a beautiful old house. And this machine- how it steals this guy's money and dignity- sad.

Rene Fijten said...

Indeed Rob, the guy walked away pretty depressed.