Sketches

Monday 16 April 2012

Me, myself and I

This is the most difficult painting I ever made, a self portrait. You can see the preliminary stages in the post of March 24th. I finished it yesterday.
Looking back, I think the painting became too refined, it lacks broad strokes and rough edges. But once I started painting this idea (the mirror, the camera, myself etc.), the painting led itself to this style.
But I really enjoyed working with oilpaint, it was the first time I used it, and it works very fine.
So here it is, on 70x90cm oilpaint. Me, myself and I.

7 comments:

schilderijenfoto said...

Gaaf man, en die lijst, en die handen zijn ook erg goed, waar iedereen altijd moeite mee heeft.

Balaji Venugopal said...

Good work Rene! I like the painting and the title. The latter takes on an extra meaning if it's an iphone that you are holding.

Rene Fijten said...

Het was niet gemakkelijk, zeker die handen niet. Maar de gelijkenis bij de mond en voorhoofd was het lastigst. Ik ben natuurlijk ook wel mijn grootste kritikaster.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Balaji, no it was not an iphone, (I am probably the last person on earth not to have one), it was a regular Sony camera. But your connection is very cool! I would have lend and painted my daughters iphone if I had thought of that before.

Flo said...

Mooie ! I like "the frame in the frame". Both portrait and hands are nicely done, it was a very difficult exercise. By chance, you didn't need to cut your ear !

LuTi said...

knap werk. petje af , Rene!!

Rene Fijten said...

Merci Florence and Ludek, ja hoor, mijn oor zit nog op zijn plek.