Sketches

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Lörrach from Vitra haus

The village Lörrach as seen from the top floor of the Vitra haus.

As architects we cannot pass the area without visiting the Vitra design centre in Weil am Rhein, with an array of fantastic buildings by: Herzog and Meuron, Frank Gehry, Jean Prouvé, Buckminster Fuller, Alvaro Siza, Peter Grimshaw, Zaha Hadid and Tandao Ando. I probably forgot a few.  Now I cannot help but wonder why I never visited the area and the site before. This is the new visitors centre, a really fantastic building with some superb furniture at display.

2 comments:

RobCarey said...

And now you're in Loerrach!!!! The town where my son was born. Next you'll be in Kandern, just 15 minutes down the road!
Here's my sketch when I was there last:

http://kunst-by-rob.blogspot.com/2010/09/vitra-design-museum.html

Rene Fijten said...

I saw the view and thought: I have to draw this to surprise you. At first I thought it was Kandern up that ridge, but it's probably Binzen or Schallbach. Unfortunately I was with a group, I could not go to Kandern. Obviously I also sketched the Gehry building, like you. Nice region by the way!